Is It Safe To Go To Rehab During COVID-19?
24/7 Treatment Help Available

Alcohol Detox

Editor Dan Schimmel, LCSW, CAP
Created On
Updated On

Approximately 12 million people are alcoholics, this is a staggering 4% of our Nations population. Another 4% of our population are regular alcohol abusers, heading down the road of addiction.

Most people who abuse alcohol on the regular are completely unaware of the health risks each time they drink. Each drink causes damage to the brain, liver, kidneys and heart, as well increasing their risk of developing an alcohol dependency. Nearly 90% of alcoholics will die prematurely as a result of health conditions resulting from alcohol abuse. The other 10% are fortunate enough to seek help from a treatment center in time.

What to Expect When Stopping Drinking

If you are an alcoholic or chronic binge drinker stopping drinking may cause you to experience symptoms of withdrawal.

Within 4 to 8 hours of the last drink you will experience shakes, sweats, chills and an increase in heart rate and blood pressure that will lead to you becoming anxious. You may become overwhelmed by the urge to drink alcohol, you may even want to turn back to alcohol for comfort at this point.

Between 12 to 24 hours the symptoms of withdrawal will begin to peak, you will experience flu like symptoms, your legs and back with ache and be painful, you will feel extremely anxious.

Within 3 to 5 days of your last drink you may experience severe nervous system changes known as Delirium Tremens where you are disoriented and suffer from hallucinations.

Any symptoms of alcohol withdrawal should subside within a week. However withdrawal could last for weeks, even months, depending on your addiction to alcoholism.

Relief in Alcohol Detox

Alcohol detox is a process in which the body will be cleansed of the chemicals and toxins related to alcohol abuse.To ensure your safety when detoxing from alcohol it is important to enter into an safe, comfortable, medically supervised alcohol treatment center with 24-7 supportive care.

You will be able to get through the withdrawal period with prescription medication aid. Typically a benzodiazepine medication will be used, relieving pain, reducing symptoms of withdrawal and controlling alcohol cravings. You will be closely monitored by medical doctors and your prescription medication will be adjusted to ensure your comfort and safety during detox.

With the right treatment you can detox from alcohol safely and comfortably.

Help others by sharing:

So How Can we Help?

Speak with Program Adviser

Call us anytime. 24/7/365 to speak with residential program advisor. We can help you with everything from selecting a treatment center to finding help in your area.

Call us now: