An In Depth Look at Alcohol RehabPublished on February 9th, 2014
There is nothing simple about overcoming an addiction to alcohol. This can be a long road littered with challenges. At times, you may feel like there is no way out. You may feel that you are never going to regain the life you once had. Despite these feelings, there is plenty of help to be had.
The best way to overcome an alcohol addiction is through rehab. With this, you will have a personalized plan that allows you to move through the process one step at a time. Additionally, there will be a team of professionals on your side who will do whatever it takes to help you succeed.
There are alcohol rehab centers located all over the country, with many providing both outpatient and inpatient treatment programs.
6 Steps to Beating an Alcohol Addiction
Unless you are 100 percent committed to beating your alcohol addiction you will find it difficult to make any real progress.
With the help of a reputable rehab center it becomes much easier to move through the process in a clear, concise, and effective manner.
While no two people are the same, here are six basic steps to overcoming an addiction to alcohol:
1. Commit to stop drinking. If you have not yet made up your mind that you want to quit drinking, you will continually run into problems. There is no “in between” when it comes to beating an alcohol addiction. You are either “all in” or “all out.”
2. Get ready for a change. There is a big change coming in your life, and you have to be ready for everything that comes your way. No matter how long you have been addicted to alcohol, you need to realize that you are now making a change for the better.
3. Be safe along the way. Many people think they can beat an alcohol addiction on their own, but find out soon enough that this is not only difficult but unsafe. You could face serious withdrawal symptoms, all of which need to be monitored by a medical professional.
4. Find a new meaning in your life. While getting sober is the first step, once you are clean it is time to move forward with the rest of your life. To stay alcohol free over the long run, you need to find a new meaning. This includes learning what it means to take care of yourself, building your support network, and developing new interests.
5. Be ready to deal with cravings. Cravings can be intense, especially for the first few months after you quit drinking. During your time in rehab you will learn how to deal with such cravings, giving you the coping skills necessary to help you stay on the right track.
6. Get support. When you are in rehab, it is easy to get support from those around you. From other patients to counselors, there are people who will have your best interest in mind. When you are done with rehab, however, you still need a support group. You don’t want to face the future alone.
Support can come from a variety of people, including but not limited to: family, friends, others in your position, medical providers, and counselors.
What you need to know about Alcohol Rehab
Alcohol rehab programs come in many forms. Some people opt for inpatient treatment while others realize that a residential program is best for them. As you consider all your options, here are several details to keep in mind:
- The treatment that works for one person may not work for another. This is why you need to select a treatment center with experience dealing with all types of people.
- Treatment should address all your concerns. For some, alcohol addiction is just the beginning of their problems. These people often times have psychiatric issues that need to be treated as well.
- Commitment is essential. This is why it is best to seek treatment at a rehab facility. You will feel better about yourself and the path you are on when you have others pushing you in the right direction. Along with this, you will know that you are taking the necessary steps towards a better life.
- You didn’t do anything wrong. There is no reason to feel guilty about the time you are spending in rehab. In fact, you should be proud of yourself as you are taking a big step towards bettering your life.
- It takes time. Don’t let anybody tell you that you can beat your addiction in a couple of days. You will need to work at this, day in and day out, to ensure that you reach the end result you are striving for.
How to Choose an Alcohol Rehab Facility
Choosing an alcohol rehab facility takes time and patience. The following details can help you determine which center is best for your needs:
- Reputation of the facility
- Type of available treatment
- Whether they accept your insurance
- Cost of treatment with and without insurance
- Success rate with past patients
As you focus on the details above, you should also feel comfortable asking the following questions of each rehab center:
- Which steps do I need to take to move forward?
- What kind of rehab do you offer people in my position?
- Can you put me in touch with the person who can help me decide if I am a good fit?
- Do you offer both inpatient and residential treatment programs?
With all this information, you should now have a clear understanding of how the alcohol rehab process works.
So how can we help you today?
Speak with Program Advisor
Call us anytime, 24/7/365 to speak with a residential program advisor. We can help you with everything from selecting a treatment center to finding help in your area.